A walk around Lymington
 
High Street
The Angel Inn was originally called the George Inn and is one of the oldest Inns in Lymington. There is a passage under the road from the Angel to what was the Londesborough Hotel (now Boots the Optician), used in an infamous time in the town’s history when many of the hostelries doubled up as headquarters for rival gangs of smugglers.

Before the car was invented travellers would arrive on horse and in place of car parks to the rear of the inn, was a pasture and stabling for 27 horses. The inn was also a starting point for stagecoaches and until the mid 19th century journeys could take a considerable time, the trip to Southampton was two and a half hours.
Inn yard of "The Angel," from a sketch by Rowlandson in 1782
The upper floor to the right of the Angel Inn, the Assembly Rooms, was for a short while the site of the first cinema in Lymington, before the Lyric Cinema which opened in 1913 (now Marks and Spencer).
 
 
 
 
Pictures of Lymington town and countryside