|Opened in 1881,
Hythe Pier stretches 700 yards into the deep-water channel
of Southampton Water.
A small railway, originally built in the First World War runs along the pier
and connects with the arrival and departure of the Hythe Ferry.
The Hotspur IV (picture on the
right) was built by Rowhedge Ironworks in 1946 for use on the
Hythe Ferry. She was the last, and slightly larger, of three
half-sisters. One of these, the Hotspur II, also still exists
and is used on the Gourock - Kilcreggan - Helensburgh
ferry service across the Firth of Clyde.
Today the Hotspur IV is normally held in reserve, with the more
recent Great Expectations in front line service. Wikipedia